Dr. B. Sango Otieno
Ph.D., Statistics, 2002,
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and
q Thesis Title: An Alternative Estimate of Preferred Direction for Circular Data
Thesis Advisor: Dr. Christine M Anderson-Cook.
M.Sc., Statistics, 1994,
Thesis Title: Exponential and Gamma Time Series Models
Thesis Advisor: Dr. Dankit K. Nassiuma.
B.Sc.(Hons), Mathematics and Statistics, 1990,
Certificate in Crop
Weather Modeling, 1996, Meteorological Service, Bet Dagan
Aug 2003 to Present:
Assistant Professor of Statistics.
Aug 2002 to May 2003: The
-Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics.
Aug 1999 to Dec 2001: Virginia Tech, - Teaching Assistant
Aug 1998 to May 1999:
Aug 1996 to May 1998:
Sept. 1994 to Aug 1996:
Oct. 1990 to Sept. 1994:
Aug 1999 to June 2002: Virginia Tech –Graduate Student Consultant
Consulted with non-statistics faculty and graduate students. Analyses included Regression, Categorical Data, Non-Parametric Methods, Time Series and Circular Data. Helped clients design and analyze experiments. Wrote reports for clients. Co-authored manuscripts at the request of clients. I worked with over 50 clients from the departments of Engineering, Fisheries and Wildlife, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Agronomy, Chemistry, Education and Human Resources and Sports
Research Areas: - Directional Data
- Time Series Analysis
- Nonparametric Statistics
- Categorical Data Analysis
Computing Platforms: Unix, Windows
Programming Languages: SPLUS & SAS
Statistical Software: SAS & SPLUS, some Minitab and SPSS.
Text formatting and Office Computing: LaTex, MS Word, Excel.
1) Nassiuma, D.K.
and B. Sango Otieno (1996). "An Introduction to the theory of estimation".
2) B.Sango Otieno and D.Nassiuma (2001). "Gamma and Exponential Auto-
regressive Moving Average (ARMA) processes". Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology. Vol. 3, pp. 71-80.
3) Anderson-Cook, C.M. and B. Sango Otieno. (2002). Circular Data. In Encyclopedia of Environmentrics. Vol. 1 , pp. 338-340. Editors: A.H. El-Shaarawi and W.W. Piegorsch. John Wiley & Sons.
4) Bergh, J.C., McCoy, C.W. and B. Sango Otieno. (2002).
Diel periodicity of emergence of adult citrus rust
5) B. Sango Otieno and Anderson-Cook, C.M. A More Efficient Way of Obtaining a Unique Median Estimate for Circular Data. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods. Vol. 3, , no. 1, pp. 168-176.
6) B. Sango Otieno and Anderson-Cook, C.M. Hodges-Lehmann Estimator of Preferred Direction for Circular Data. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics. (Submitted 2003).
American Statistical Association (ASA): 2003.
Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS): 2000 – Present.
International Biometric Society (ENAR): 2002 – Present.